Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weekend #3: Chinchero Sunday Market

This Saturday I stayed in Urubamba to recouperate from being sick (2 out of the 3 weeks I have been here), but on Sunday I went to the Sunday crafts market in Chinchero, which is about 30 minutes away.
 Another volunteer, Jackson, was looking to buy some of these toritos de Pukara. I also want to buy some, but hopefully I will be able to go to Pukara where they are made to buy them there! It is near Puno and Lake Titicaca, so maybe I can stop by when I go there...eventually.
 The vendors are very aggressive and call out to you to get your attention. It is also a very common practice to bargain with one another. One of the volunteers, Tamara, has a gift for bargaining, but I don't quite have. I can usually get them to lower the price a little bit, but not nearly as much as she can!
It has been a rough week since I have been sick and today was very hard, but this next week will be better since we are going to go to Machu Picchu! We are going on the short Inka Jungle Trail, which lasts 3 days and 2 nights. We start at Ollantaytambo on Thursday with a 4 hour bike ride with stops at two archeological sites, Inkatambo and Huamanmarka. We will spend the night in a hostel at Santa Teresa. On Friday, we will hike from Santa Teresa up to Aguas Calientes, stopping to visit an Inkan sundial (Intiwatana). Early Saturday morning (4:00am), we will get up to hike to Machu Picchu, arriving at 6:30am for a tour. Hopefully we will be able to hike up Huayna Picchu, a mountain that overlooks the ruins (only 400 people are allowed to hike up per day). Finally, we are taking a train back home that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment